Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I'm baaaack

So my vacation. In a word - perfect!

Monday night we got into Vancouver late.

Tuesday we went for a hike in one of the canyons, and went downtown to MEC and took a walk in my old running grounds - stanley park. The park got badly hit in the wind storms this year and a LOT of trees are down. probably close to 2/3s in some places, it was pretty crazy!

Wednesday we headed up to whistler for two days of skiing. I overheard people saying that they were the two best days all year. fresh powder on Wednesday and clear clear clear both days which is a rarity for whistler. You are often skiing there in the clouds so it was nice to have a great view at the top and excellent conditions.

Thursday on our way back from whistler we went to my aunts place on the Sunshine Coast which is a 40 minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is on the BC mainland, but the coast has tonnes of big inlets, fjords and sounds that are silly to build bridges across. They all have Ferries instead, since it would take a good couple of hours to drive around.

Friday it was back to Vancouver (after a good 7.5 km run- in shorts! - on the sunshine coast) and we spent friday night and saturday visiting with friends from undergrad and gradschool that have found their way out to BC (it was Kelly's 30th b-day, saw QC&RL, and CyndyD from undergrad). It was nice to see them all again. QC just moved out there at the end of January and she seems to be settling well and has a fabulous apartment in kits.

On Sunday we went for a long hike in snowshoes up one of the local mountains in Vancouver. It is crazy the change in conditions over a relatively short elevation gain. At the bottom of the mountain (very bottom) sea level, there is no snow and they would barely ever get any (maximum a couple of inches but it melts after a few days). the top was at 1200-1300 m and there would have been at least 2 m of snow on the ground! craziness.

Monday was back to Ontario. we had to get up at 4:45 for our flight which probably made getting up yesterday morning a little easier. Today was a little bit easier again, so hopefully I'm mostly back on Ontario time.

Pictures will follow, but I don't have them all amalgamated. some are on my laptop, some still on my camera, and some on arash's camera. I'll try to post them tonight or tomorrow though.

5 comments:

Lotus Blossom said...

Glad you had a good vacation! Good to hear from you... I was wondering where you were.

C-dub said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Was that AF's first time skiing or has he done it before?

lj said...

Nope, AF has skied a few times. 3 days last year (Chicopee and blue mountain) and 2 times this year (6 hours at chicopee) before we went to whistler. I put him in lessons for a couple of hours on wednesday and skied by myself. when we were skiing together we stuck to greens and easy blues, but the way whistler is, I stuff while keeping him in scould go off on into the powder in the bowls off the green run he really liked and ski on some harder ight. Worked out well.

Eva said...

Hello LJ :)

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon. I like how you posted your splits. What will be your next one?

Yay! for vacations!!!

lj said...

Missisauga in May (Mothers Day :)) If you are in toronto you should do it with me.

My new watch does splits really easily, I love that function!