Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Well, there goes that Idea.

So A called the Iranian embassy yesterday afternoon. He has to get his passport renewed. He thought it would take a couple of weeks, based on how long it took his mum, but never called to verify with them. Um, no. 6 weeks. So he will get his passport back mid September. On top of that, because he is an Iranian citizen instead of Canadian, he will need a visa to go to pretty much any country. (except for iran, then I would need a visa). Visa’s usually take 2 to 3 weeks to get, could be longer though if there are any problems. Like being from an Axis of Evil.

So it looks like Hawaii is definitely out. Greece and St. Lucia are almost definitely out. St. Lucia *might* still be an option since it is a commonwealth country. That leaves… Canada. :( Don’t get me wrong. I love our country and I definitely do want A to see more of it, and to travel through Canada with him, but I’m not sure October is the best month for it. Also doesn’t seem to honeymoony to me and kind of boring.

I’m a little sad :( I was looking forward to seeing something new and going somewhere different. The last time I went anywhere even remotely exotic was three years ago now, and I want to travel. Not see the same sights as I have seen several times before.

I’m also a little frustrated with A. If he got his passport renewed (or started to) a month ago like I suggested, he would have it by now and we would have plenty of time to get a visa. Or, if he had his Canadian citizenship (like I have been nagging him about for over 2 years now) he wouldn’t even need a visa to go most places). I told him he should bribe the people at the embassy to process his visa faster. Or that he should explain that his fiancĂ© is going to leave him for giving her a bad honeymoon (jokingly of course).

Good Bye Hawaii. Good bye Greece. Good bye St. Lucia.

8 comments:

C-dub said...

That's too bad! Hopefully he can get his passport renewed more quickly... is there a "rush" option like we have here for our passports?

Otherwise, have you ever been to St. John's, Newfoundland? It's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been!

lj said...

Nope, never been to newfoundland, but I don't suppose October is the time to visit there :(

BrightDolphin said...

I'm sorry Lj. That sucks. I don't suppose you could just put off the honeymoon until November? Probably an issue with vacation time though huh?

I hope you can still have the honeymoon you want. Even if it's not where you thought it would be. *Hugs*

BTW, October is very hit or miss in Newfoundland. Sometimes they have snow by then, other years (like my first in Goose Bay) it can be mild and pretty. I would not recommend there.

Could Cuba be an option? I know Niki and my brother both liked it, and they are particularly friendly with Canadians.

lj said...

Cuba would probably be our best option out of country. A would need a Visa, but it would be pretty easy to get. Iran and Cuba are kind of Anti-American allies. But... Neither of us are really the all-inclusive type of people. I would rather be able to explore a place on my own (like greece) than go and stay in the same place for one to two weeks.

As for putting it off, I don't really want to do taht because I'm worn completely out at work. I need a vacation. The last 6 months have been insane for me. besides, I'm not sure I could get the time off in November now. Boo. We did talk about flying into Calgary, and renting a car and driving to Vancouver over a week and then go back to work after one week, and then taking another vacation after christmas somewhere warmer. We'll have to wait and see what happens with A's passport. Perhaps Iran is back on plan. I told hime he should write a letter asking them to get his passport renewed faster, not sure they are going to do this. They won't rush it, but A's mum's only took 2 weeks to renew, so who knows.

BrightDolphin said...

Yeah, I can understand that. I hope things work out!

C-dub said...

I hope A can get his passport quickly! If he can get it in 2 or 3 weeks, then there would likely still be time to get a Visa to go somewhere. So, don't count it out yet!

Anonymous said...

That's crappy.

Welcome to the (not-so) wonderful world of nagging. It took 2 years of me nagging Chris to get his bloody passport. I felt very b*tchy by the end. Now I'm on to new nagging things. Wonderful.

I hope you get your stuff sorted out. The BIL & his wife went to Cuba for a holiday. They didn't do the all inclusive thing, and had a wonderful time travelling across the country...it can be done!

Lotus Blossom said...

Any update for us?