Monday, May 17, 2010

Missed a week

Change of routine so I'll have to find a new time to be posting. Monday nights I'm biking from home now. (Not today though, I'm taking the day off). I am swimming monday mornings and I don't feel comfortable bringing my bike to pool. Oh well, such is life.

So yesterday I did my first half marathon in three years. My mother-in-law and I ran together for the entire race. It was her first half marathon. She started running 7.5 months ago on Thanksgiving weekend. I was heading out for a run and she decided she wanted to come with me as she was itching to workout (over the last year she has turned into a bit of a gym rat). That first day we covered 8 km in just a little over 50 minutes. She is a natural.

I don't think I'm in shape to beat my personal best (set 3 years ago at the same race - the mississauga half marathon). I decided that rather than try and fail I would run with MIL and help her finish her first half marathon. We finished in 2:07 and change. It was a pretty easy effort for me. Probably the easist half marathon I've ever done. We kept up a good pace for the first half. There was pretty big hill around half way and we slowed down a bit after that. All in all a good time :)

I feel bad though, I peer-pressured A into coming down to the finish line to cheer on his mother to her first half marathon finish. Since I did this race three years ago it has grown exponentially. There were SO many people finishing at the same time as us and so many people at the finish line (82! people finished within the minute that we finished). A got there 10 minutes before we finished but it took us an HOUR to find him.

2 comments:

Lotus Blossom said...

That's great that you and your MIL did that together. Hopefully A wasn't too grumpy... JB hates crowds and I would suffer the silent treatment if I tried to get him to brave crowds like that. Well, actually... he wouldn't go. ;)

I have plans (if I'm brave) to attempt to start running near the end of June. My gym has some running classes and once I can make it to one of them I think I'm going to try.

Oh... my blog is back up and running now... sort of. :)

Sarah said...

In response to your post "I'm on a roll" - do you have a flat?