Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Niki Asked for a post

so here you go!

So it has been a few weeks since I last wrote. I have been pretty busy as I’m sure you can all imagine. On Wednesday August 29, I got my new car! A 2008 stick shift Toyota corolla in phantom grey (dark grey). It has alloy wheels and a moon roof – collective ooooooo from the audience. I normally wouldn’t have gotten them but with everything else I wanted (mainly cruise control and power windows) it was only an extra $200. A good thing about the stick shift (other than being fun and $1000 cheaper) is that my car qualifies for the $1000 fuel efficiency rebate – the automatic corolla does not. Actually, for automatic non-hybrid cars, only the Yaris qualifies.

I took the last day of august off work to move. Made for an extra long 4-day weekend. We were up super late on Thursday night trying to finish up packing. We almost got there, but we ran out of boxes. On Thursday U-haul was supposed to call us by 5 pm to let us know where we pick up our truck. We don’t pick it up where we book it for out of town moves. 5 pm… no word – I call them. After being on hold for a good 10 minutes, they say that they don’t know yet, call back at 6:50. I call at 6:50 (place closes at 7), it’s busy. And busy for another 10 minutes. Finally get a ring at 7 pm, but it rang for over 4 minutes before someone finally picks it up. They say I can pick it up at 8 at the fairway road location. Great.

Fast forward, next morning at 7:50, I am picking up A’s friend before going to pick up the truck (he is helping us move and driving). Get a call – from U-haul – “Sorry, the truck isn’t available, we hope to have something to you by this afternoon. We will call before 11am”. Um… so not going to work. We have to be completely moved out of the apartment and cleaned up by 12. We only have the elevator from 8 am to 11 am. I got bitchy and told the person on the phone that this is absolutely not acceptable, and I don’t care what she does, but she is going to find me a u-haul much before then. I got a call 15 minutes later. I can pick it up at 8:30 at Victoria Ave. Lesson learned – Don’t be a push-over!

Moving went pretty smoothly after that with the exception of getting our couches inside. It was a bit of a feat getting them in. we had to take off storm doors and the main doors, and after much grunting managed to get in 3 out of 4 couches inside. The last just isn’t going to fit. It is currently sitting in our garage with all our other construction waste (carpet, subflooring, cuttings from laminate and hardwood, etc).

Funny how you can go go go, until you crash. Well, we certainly crashed by the end of the weekend. Every day we got progressively less productive until Monday night where we sat on the couch doing nothing from approximately 5 pm to 10 pm. They don’t call it a lay-z boy for nothing!

Last week I was busy getting little stuff done before Christine’s wedding. I went up on Thursday night in time for bridesmaid duties on Friday. Saturday was a fun day. A drove up separately from me and has discovered that driving long distances are not fun. Sunday morning we were going to hang around Burleigh (awesome wedding venue!) for a while, but it was cold out and not all that nice so we packed it in, and went to visit my Dad and Nora for the afternoon. It was nice to get the last minute chance to see them since we haven’t seen them since the wedding! My Dad has lost a tonne of weight (well, not really a tonne ;)) He has ulcer surgery scheduled for next Monday, and the doctor told him he had to be down to 193 for the surgery. He was at 192 last Friday. At 6 feet, that is pretty trim!

Hopefully this weekend we will be able to get a chance to get some of the things done around the house that still need doing – like painting doors. But it looks like there is a good chance that we will be having visitors this weekend (in the form of sisters! K is in TO for a conference and A’s sister is back from Iran and wants to see our new digs).

Oh yes, almost forgot to mention – We have picked a day for the wedding – October 4, 2008 :) Hope to see you all there!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goody! I'll get the foam finger ready!

So Chez Ray & Nora weren't booked up for that day? Are you having it there?

lj said...

Sure are. Wedding and the reception both. Might deviate somewhere else for pictures, but probably we'll just go down to the sap line. We'll have hotels reserved in Belleville and a shuttle bus running between the two.

Anonymous said...

is the rebate you are talking about ecoauto?

quinn said...

Yay, I'm so glad to hear that you're going to get an October wedding at your dad's, just like you imagined! I'll mark my calendar! =)

Lotus Blossom said...

I'm so glad you weren't a push-over for U-Haul! DMcL and I had such horrible service from them we used some other company to rent a truck from on our last move as a couple... but that company was just as bad!!!

October 4... I'll book the date and keep an eye open for good seat sales! Goody... Oh - and I *shouldn't* be preggo again (definitely not late-preggo) as we have an age in mind for when we want our second and that's barely a year (if not a year or less) from when Baby Bee will be born... and we are not having them that close together! :D

lj said...

Not sure who anonymous is, but yes, it is the ecoauto program.

Here is the link
http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/Environment/ecotransport/ecoauto.htm

tree hugger said...

just an FYI: no actual rebates for 2007 have been issued (it's been in the news quite a bit) and the 2008 vehicles that are eligible haven't been announced yet (no guarantee that they will be the same as 2007).

lj said...

haya - still no clue here. Andrew?

1) yes, I know that they haven't been issued yet, it is supposed to be out this fall sometime. The dealer went all over that.

2) Yes, there is no guarantee that this list will be the same, but it is dependant on the mileage your car gets - according to the Fuel consumption Energuide from the government of Canada, the 2008 Corolla (standard) is well within the km range for the energy efficiency. Moreover, if it isn't, than no non-hybrid cars would qualify for the rebate (it is tied with the yaris for fuel efficiency).

Anonymous said...

Too bad the Rio didn't make the cut :( Maybe their new hybrid will for 2009.

Eva said...

Yay! Another wedding to go to! I will be sure to mark my calendar.

Glad to hear you wouldnt let stupid UHaul push you around. Its really dumb how they dont tell where to pick it up.

C-dub said...

Glad you have a date picked out! Very exciting!!!!