Friday, January 25, 2008

100 Things about me.

I saw this on another blog and thought it was cool. I've been working on it for a couple of weeks. kind of hard to come up with 100 things!!!

1. I’m engaged to a wonderful man
2. I have a masters degree in Civil engineering
3. If I didn’t go into Engineering, I would have gone into either physics or Music.
4. I played the piano and flute well in highschool but rarely touch either now
5. I lost my $2000 flute on one of the many co-op moves in undergrad
6. I love photography. It is by far my favorite form of visual art.
7. My Iron Ring is my grandfathers and was the first titanium cast in Canada
8. I’ve almost lost my Iron Ring 3 or 4 times now. The most recent being last night at the gym.
9. I’ve only ridden my bike once since July.
10. As a kid I had aspirations of being a world class skier, but my parents never let me race
11. I lost my first tooth in Kindergarten on a class trip to the zoo. I was eating an apple on the bus and it fell out.
12. I love almost every kind of fruit there is. Except the ones that I like to call Vegetable fruits – tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc.
13. I’ve eaten a banana almost every day since my first co-op term.
14. I dislike most cooked vegetables when they are on their own.
15. I hate beans. Except chickpeas.
16. I get upset when A eats the last banana and screws up my week.
17. In 99% of my habits I’m a classic Type A, but I can’t keep anything tidy. My desk, my home, anything (I do keep it clean though).
18. Once I get in the habit, waking up at 5:30 am isn’t hard for me.
19. My perfect Sunday would be going for a run in the morning, coming back and snuggling up with a good book and falling asleep on the couch.
20. I would much prefer to nap than sleep in.
21. I love love love being hot. I don’t ever have trouble falling asleep when it is hot outside.
22. I find myself cold every day at work and they keep the heat set at 72F whereas we keep our home set at 68.
23. I was the 5th grade champion at my school in the shot put.
24. I was decently good at shotput and made it to the county level in grade 8 but didn’t continue in highschool because I didn’t want to be butch.
25. I was the last kid cut from every team in elementary school. I ALMOST made the soccer team, I ALMOST made the basket ball team, I ALMOST made the Vollyball team, etc.
26. I quit trying for team sports in Grade 7 because I babysat after school when the practices were.
27. I had three cabbage patch kids – Sophia Manda, Lauren, and Elmira. Sophie was my favourite.
28. I hate American spellings – color, neighbor, favorite, etc.
29. My favourite comfort foods are cottage cheese with cinnamon and sugar and bologna and ketchup roll-ups (has to be schneiders blue ribbon).
30. I was the worlds pickiest eater as a kid.
31. Number 27 was the basis for 75% of my dinners as a kid.
32. In grade 1 my teacher thought I was hearing disabled and made me get tested. I had perfect hearing, but just didn’t listen.
33. In grade two I had to get my eyesight tested. The teacher thought I couldn’t see because I always had my book propped up on my desk. It was to keep the kid next to me from copying.
34. I was a mediocre student as a child until about grade 4 or 5 when I started to excel at math.
35. I almost had to have eye surgery as an infant. My tear ducts were blocked so my eyes would weep. I still get watery eyes now sometimes for no reason.
36. My cat also has weepy eyes. The vet said the only way to fix it would be for her to have the surgery I was supposed to have when I was 3 months old.
37. When I was 6 I got lost skiing and had to hike up a 3 km run to get back to the main mountain. My sister (8 at the time) abandoned me to save herself.
38. When I was 11 I got lost skiing off piste and had to hike out in waist deep snow. I left my skies in the woods and the ski patrol resuced them.
39. When I was 12 I got stuck on a chairlift for 2 hours in -30 degree weather. I got frost bite on my feet and ever since then my feet have been super sensitive to the cold.
40. I had my first kiss after my 19th birthday
41. I have only kissed 4 guys and the 4th will be the only one I kiss for the rest of my life (god willing).
42. I’m agnostic. I believe in the whole big bang thing but I’m not sure I believe in superstring
43. I’m a science geek. When I was in kindergarten I watched science shows on TVO during the day. I remember asking my mom how big an atom was.
44. I hated reading until highschool. I thought because I was slow at it, it meant that I wasn’t any good (despite scoring really well on reading comprehension tests because when I read I have to make sure I understand every single word.
45. Highschool English taught me one thing. How to BS.
46. I quit the highschool cross country team in favour of the swim team. (practices at the same time).
47. I was a pretty good swimmer. My stroke was the breast stroke which does nothing to help me with front crawl in triathlons.
48. I quit the swim team in favour of the rugby team (practices at the same time)
49. I tore my ACL playing rugby.
50. After teaing my ACL I can’t do breast stroke well anymore.
51. My grandfather held the British record in a breast stroke event in the 1940s for a few weeks. He would have gone to the Olympics in 44 but they were cancelled due to the war.
52. I lived with my torn ACL for 5 years due to being misdiagnosed by a stupid doctor in Belleville.
53. I lived in the same house from the day I was born to the day I went off to University.
54. I love dogs, but I have a cat.
55. My cat’s full name is “Jenny-any-dots” but no-one ever calls her that.
56. My favorite fast food is a McDonalds Quarter Pounder. So greasy, but oh so good.
57. I started doing triathlons as a stepping stone for Adventure Racing. 7 years later I’ve only done one adventure race.
58. Up until the Winter of 2000 I had never run more than 6 km. I remember feeling very proud of myself after running for 7 whole kms one night.
59. I haven’t run by myself at night since 2002 when I promised my mum I wouldn’t anymore.
60. If I were independently wealthy I would train all day long.
61. I would love to be on the biggest loser although I don’t have that much weight to lose. I just think it would be FUN to train with the trainers on the show.
62. I’m an extrovert in most ways, except when it comes to dating I’m an introvert.
63. I love Microsoft Excel.
64. I’ve had lice twice once in grade 1 and once in grade 10.
65. My Mum volunteered in my grade three classroom.
66. My first crush was on a boy call Mark in the 4th Grade.
67. Donnie was my favourite NKOTB. The only time in my life I liked ‘the bad boy’
68. My favourite Authors are JK Rowling and Minnette Walters
69. My favourite TV shows are Ugly Betty and Grey’s Anatomy.
70. I like the mean girls. My favourite characters are Amanda on Ugly Betty and Christine on Grey’s anatomy.
71. I have a tattoo of a sun on the inside of my left ankle.
72. I would only get another tattoo if I did an Ironman. I would get the Mdot tattoo.
73. I’m a people pleaser. I don’t like to make decisions that other people might have a problem with.
74. Model Calibration is the bain of my existence.
75. I never kept a journal consistently until I started blogging.
76. I have a love hate relationship with Wedding Magazines. They make me feel like I’m the worst bride ever.
77. I love to bake, but I end up eating way too many sweets when I do.
78. Everyone who has ever eaten my gingerbread cookies compliments me.
79. When I go to Subway I often eat more calories worth of cookies than I do of sandwhich.
80. My favourite colour is red.
81. By grade 10 I was lead flutist in our highschool band
82. My grandma had the highest scores in Ontario in standardized testing when she was in highschool.
83. I get complimented by total strangers (men and women alike) on my glasses.
84. When I was a kid I used to want glasses so I would read in the dark.
85. I had braces in grade 9 and half of grade 10 to correct an overbite. I had nearly straight teeth before hand. I also had to wear head gear at night for a few months.
86. I love aspartame sweetened products. I’ve been having them since I was a kid since we didn’t have any sugar drinks in the house. We made Koolaid with half sugar and half equal.
87. I learned to ski a few months after my third birthday.
88. Despite be a good swimmer now, I had to take my yellow badge (the first one) three times before I passed. Twice I wasn’t technically old enough then the third time I was afraid to put my face in the water.
89. I clearly remember moments of my young childhood. Like when I was 3 and 4.
90. I have a pretty good memory. I read something once and it sticks with me for ever.
91. I tried out for my highschool’s version of cheerleading – the Dance Squad. I did it because D didn’t want to try out by herself. I had no interest in joining.
92. I like to eat my skittles and m and ms by colour. But not in a certain order. I eat the colour I have the least of first leaving the one with the most till the end.
93. Except, I don’t like yellow skittles as much, so I always eat them first.
94. I have been to: South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Domican Republic, England, Whales and the US.
95. My dream trip would be to go to Patagonia. Partly so that I could say I was “living like a king in Patagonia”
96. I never skipped a class in highschool. I was a good two shoes. Well, more accurately, my father taught at our highschool and would find out in a heartbeat
97. I get frustrated and distracted when computers are slow.
98. I get corrected on English grammar by my ESL fiancĂ©. Who knew “boughten” and “gotten” weren’t words? That being said, spell check isn’t picking up gotten. Perhaps I was right all along.
99. My favourite flower is the daffodil.
100. My guilty pleasure if fluffy novels.

6 comments:

BrightDolphin said...

Cool idea, perhaps I shall write one of my own!

As an aside, I had cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon for breakfast yesterday!! It's so yummy! :D

Anonymous said...

How does one define a fluffy novel? ;)

Anonymous said...

Things I didn't know about my baby sister...
1) You had head lice *twice*?
2) You tried out for the dance squad!?!?!?!?
3) You're an extrovert? (just kidding!)
4) You had your hearing tested in Grade 1 because you didn't pay attention - some things never change!

Things that don't surprise me about my baby sister...
1) You almost lost your iron ring multiple times.
2) You've lost your flute.
3) You don't like beans (give me credit for trying to force-feed them to you).
4) Your grammar needs correcting by your ESL fiance!

Anonymous said...

two comments

according to dictionary.com gotten *is* a word.

and what do you think of the american spellings of tire, realize ?

keely

lj said...

or analyse. I HATE that.

How do the american's spell tire?

I showed arash that dictionary.com had gotten, he said it was wrong. I got out my oxford dictionary, and sure enough, it wasn't there. I think that it is one of those slang words that so many people use it has kind of become acceptable.

Lotus Blossom said...

That's a really interesting list. I would write one, but I don't know if I can come up with 100 things... let alone any interesting things. :)

PS: don't let the bridal magazines let you feel like the worst bride ever... it's just like fashion magazines making *most* women feel like the fattest women ever!