Monday, March 31, 2008

Doctors, Rust, and asebestos oh my!

So last weekend I went to the walk-in clinic. Like I thought, they don't do female exams, but the doc did write me the perscription I need and I start taking it as soon as I get my period (should be any day now). Hopefully my skin will be clear by the wedding. He also refered me to an ob/gyn so that I can get my exam.

So this weekend we got started on our basement renovations. The first thing we noticed was that our ducts in the downstains are rusted. For some reason, they ran them through the concrete below the slab, and water has got in and rusted out ducts. So all winter we have been literally heating the ground below our house. After much discussion, we are going to fill in the existing vents with concrete (with the exception of the bathroom, and then put in new vents off of the main bulkhead which runs through the ceiling in the den downstairs. hopefully this will result in lower heating bills and less humidity in the downstairs.

The second lovely thing we noticed after pulling up the carpet was old tiles. we pulled the nail strips up for about 90% of the area breaking several tiles before it occured to me that the tiles could contain asebestos. Apparently like 95% of tiles pre mid 80s contained asebestos. Nice. A and I have to talk about whether we want to test the tiles for asebestos or not. We can leave the tiles in place and just cover them up, but we will have to dispose of the dammaged tiles. Actually they recommend that if you have asebestos containing tiles that the best thing to do is cover them up so that they won't be dammaged. The asebestos in tiles is non-friable which means fibers won't be realeased unless they are damaged.

So all in all, I had a pretty stressful weekend, but it sounds like everything is sorted out and we can get to work on finishing the basement up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to at least get your prescription for now!

Yikes on the potential asbestos (and the ducts heating the ground... wtf?), good thing you at least thought of the asbestos. I'm sure a lot of people have no idea about that sort of thing (oh the joys of being an environmental consultant eh?).

C-dub said...

Has there been any flooding at your dad's place with all the water levels rising?

C-dub said...

Hello... update please! ;)