Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Coronation of King Ignatieff of the Liberal Party of Canada

I think the title speaks for itself. I’m neutral in this year’s leadership race. Kennedy came out to support Rae yesterday, and others from his camp have supported Ignatieff. I personally remain neutral. Why? Simple – I don’t like either candidate as leader of the Liberals.

Rae. I like Bob Rae. I always have (except perhaps in 1995 when he was defeated by a crushing majority of the Neo-Con Harris Conservatives who cared more about their own pocket book than the social wellness of Ontarians. Rae has a bad wrap, I think mostly because he was leader of the wrong party. He was a centre-left NDP in a party that had now room for anyone so close to centre. Yes, he was elected leader of the party, but the members of the NDP tried to overthrow him several times. The NDP didn’t like him because he was too centre; the Liberals and Conservatives didn’t like him because he was NDP. Long story short, Rae ruled Ontario in one of the toughest economic times in recent history, and took the flack. Much the same as Michael Peterson is still widely unpopular. Rae could not be as strong in Ontario as the Liberals need to be to win a majority government. He would likely do well in Cities, but I doubt he would be strong in Rural Ontario that has gone conservative the last two elections.

Ignatieff. I don’t like Ignatieff. I never have. Sure, he is an intellect. Sure, he has a smidgeon of charisma. But the guy does NOT no when to shut-up. He is smug. He feels he is entitled to the Liberal Leadership. On top of that he is a little too right for my liking and I think he would have been better suited with the former PC party than the Liberals. At the last leadership race, the Ignatieff supporters were so obnoxious in their refusal to work with the other leadership contenders should one of them win. They full out said they were joining the conservative Party the next day. They refused to believe that the party grassroots were strongly against Ignatieff and to a smaller extent Rae which lead to the selection of Dion as the leader in the first place. Based on my experience from the 2006 leadership convention I am certain that the Ignatieff supporters worked behind the scenes against Dion since 2006 and are partially to blame for the poor showing in the last election. My Liberal party has no room for those kinds of actions.

This being said, I was all ready to accept Ignatieff as leader. I think that he is more electable and I feel his supporters would again undermine the liberal party if Rae had been selected as the leader.

Now, the latest political gossip is that Rae is set to drop out of the leadership race this afternoon. The thing I like the absolute least about the liberal party is the elitism of the Party Brass and the lack of respect for the Party’s grassroots (myself one of them. I never belonged to the Federal Liberals until Gerard Kennedy joined the Leadership race). The fact that the party brass was going to appoint a leader without consultation with its members is absolutely mind boggling. I strongly suspect the Party Brass is also behind the strong arming of Bob Rae out of the Leadership race.

I have already mentioned this to a friend in e-mail, one who doesn’t like to make her political affiliations generally known, but if this is the way the Liberals are going to act, I’m not sure I will support them anymore.

5 comments:

BrightDolphin said...

I'm not personally a Bob Rae fan, but I concede that he probably would have been a decent leader. Ignatieff seems like a smart man, and it seems like those who support him REALLY support him and won't be swayed to support anyone else. He does come off as arrogant though.

I guess I'm not sure as to why everything needed to be decided this week. Nothing like a rash decision to fix a problem hey?

I heard something about Bob Rae having a late night conference call to try to get the Liberal brass to have an online vote for the new leader. Apparently, even that was not acceptable to them. Maybe because they wouldn't be the ones to decide???

No wonder people are getting tired of all this B.S. Why bother having elections at all? (sarcasm of course)

Kate said...

I don't have much to add. I'm not a fan of Ignatieff, though have found a way to amuse myself - try watching him on the news channel at the gym without the earphones, with closed captioning. Very amusing to dissociate his words from his gestures. He is a very rhetorical speaker.

I think that he got where he is because the party brass want someone with charisma (hearkening back to the Chretien years), and he has the most charisma out of the potentials (though Bob Rae skinnydipping on national television comes close!). Unfortunately the last liberal coronation ended us up with Paul Martin...

I voted Liberal this October, because I wanted Dion as PM. The Liberal Party has definitely lost my vote in the next election.

Lotus Blossom said...

For some reason I had it in my head that you were part of the Ignatieff camp at the last leadership convention. I must be wrong! LOL... my brain really does not work some (most) days.

lj said...

Nope. Kennedy! Canada! Kennedy! Canada! ;)

Kate said...

Memories of you with your Kennedy tambourine coming back from the convention...
"G.... K.... All the Way!"