Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good
I submitted my thesis to the Deans Office this moring

The Bad
It isn't actually done yet. My readers agreed to only have one week to review it rather than the three they are supposed to have - they signed off saying they got it today. in reality, they will have it by the end of next week.

The Ugly
I will have to do some last minute editing next week while I'm working 37.5 hours/week plus commuting another 10+ :.(. Meh, I'll get through it.

As much as I say I've wanted to hurry up and finish for the last year or so, I think I'm really going to miss UW when I'm done here. I keep on having these moments where something happens and I get all teary-eyed and nostalgic. Like last friday I went to the C&D at lunch time and there was a big sign out front "C&D will be be closed April 20th-May 1st." Yes. My last trip to the C&D. So sad. Then yesterday I was swimming at the PAC and halfway through my swim I realized that it would be the last time I will likely swim in that pool. (I know some of you hate it, but I very much prefer it to the Rec centre).

Then finally, the toughest one was this morning. I went to my very last waterloo goodlife spinning class. All the other clubs have stupid RPM classes which I hate (so not good for training) so I'll miss that, but more so, over the last 6 years, I've become friends with this instructor, going to her classes every week as the rule. She was fun and cheerful and made the classes go by quickly. I'll miss her. It kind of feels like the end of undergrad when we all got teary eyed that we wouldn't be together anymore, but at least we knew that we would see each other again, just not the same way or as frequently.

But... time for new beginnings. I start work on Monday, and my new life as Laura Jones, MASC, Junior Engineer is about to start!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

So, you won't be doing the training swim program at the PAC during the summer term?

lj said...

Umm... I'm still undecided. Depends on the time and how the commute goes. I was thinking about possibly going to the rec centre uber early one morning a week (like 6 am or so). If I swim for 40 minutes, I'll be done by 6:40 and able to leave waterloo by 7ish. I'll let you know when I figure out how my schedule is working out.

C-dub said...

Congrats!

Be sure to let us know how your first day of work goes on Monday!

BrightDolphin said...

Well, hopefully the edits will be minor! :)

Are you excited to start working? As much as it is tough to move to the next phase of your life, it will be exciting to start the new one! Have fun at work on your first day!

And congrats on "finishing" your thesis! (((Hugs!)))

quinn said...

Congrats on being almost done! Man, I can't believe you're starting work so soon! I hope the transition goes smoothly! I know what you mean about feeling sad about leaving UW...so many memories!

C-dub said...

Hope you have a great first day of work today!!!