Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My attempt to go run errands

So last night I got myself ready, a little later than intended due to a couple of phone conversations, to go pick up some groceries, go to the bank, and mail off my visa application. I got onto my bike at 8 and biked over to valuemart. The power was out - So no Canada post, no bank machine, so groceries :(. Okay, I had to rethink.

I know! Westmount plaza, on my way home, they have an RBC (not as ideal as Scotia), a post office, and I could pick up some fruit from the farahs there to tie me over. Alas. Power out there too. I'm starting to get freaked out. it is now closing in on 8:30 and the sun sets at 9:00. I could try beechwood, Zerhs would be open until 10:00, they have scotia, but alas, the shoppers there doesn't have a post office. I couldn't think of anywhere else close enough where I could do the stuff I needed that was within biking distance, so I decided to just go home. Now this morning I'm waiting for the post office to open and then heading there on my way to school.

I'll have to go for the groceries this evening, but the high is supposed to be 40 with the humidex. Ugh. Oh, and I just heard on the TV. So far there have been 39 days this year where the temperature was >= 30C the average for the whole summer over the last 30 years is 13. Pretty crazy eh?

2 comments:

BrightDolphin said...

Yeah, this year's shaping up to be a record-breaking year, weatherwise anyway. The hurricanes alone are an aberration, we're already at "i" and it's just starting to get into the peak of the season this week, although we've had more than average hurricanes since the early 90s.

I find it highly amusing because I've always read about hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. One of my projects in grade 12 was on El Nino. I'm sure we'll hear long rants about "global warming" over the next year, though the anthropogenic contribution is still questionable. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

Lotus Blossom said...

Crazy weather indeed! I can't say that we've had the heat that you down east have had... we've had flooding though... and my city has never flooded before in it's entire history of existence! :p