Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I feel like crying.

I'm so incredibly frustrated right now. For anyone reading this NEVER EVER live at St. Paul's Grad apartments at the University of Waterloo. They have HORRIBLE communications skills that just ends up screwing the students. Case 1: QCs bike got stolen this spring. They knew there was a problem since another persons bike was stolen out of the shed in the fall. They neglected to inform the students with bikes in the shed and refused to take any responsibilty. QC is down one $700 bike which she can't afford to replace. Thank god I keep my road bike inside my apartment.

Case 2: AF and I talked this weekend about moving in together, we are both short of money these days and decided that we would be able to save $300-$400 each a month by moving in together. I called the office this morning to tell them I won't be staying for the fall term, and I was informed that I would have to pay a $500 penalty fee for canceling my agreement for the fall term. Note: I did not agree to anything for the fall term, but I did sign the "application for addition term of occupancy". I was also never informed of this penalty when I was talking to the people asking my questions about what would happen if I weren't around in the fall. I was never once told about this fee, or refered to the website about the policy. Had I known then, what I know now, I would not have filled out the application in the first place. I wasn't informed of any fee, and after double and triple checking my lease, there is no mention of the cancellation policy. I gave my two months notice as is required by the Ontario Tennants act, and they are screwing me. (Note: the Ontario Tennants act does not apply to me since my building is a residence). I'm so incredibly frustrated by this and I don't know what to do. I just know that I'm going to get screwed in this and probably end up having to pay more instead of saving money.

2 comments:

C-dub said...

What did your Dad say when you talked to him last night?

Blythe said...

I thought about this more last night. No one can really tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I would do, if I were in your shoes.

I would first type up a notice in a word document, saying that you are giving your 60 day notice and that you plan on moving out on such-and-such date. I would print off 2 copies. I would sign both, and then I would have a representative from St. Paul's sign them too. I would give them a copy and I would keep a copy.

Then I would go on to tell them that you will NOT be paying the $500 penalty as you did not agree to paying such penalty in any document you have signed with them. If they bring up the website thing, I would tell them that it is not stipulated in any legally binding contract and therefore has no legal merit. If they continue to hassle me, I would then say that I will be contacting my lawyer, and you will probably hear from them sometime at the end of the month.

I don't believe that verbal communication has much legal merit (that's why I would write the 60 day notice as opposed to telling them).

But that is what I would do.

I feel so bad for you. I wish you all the best.