Friday, June 09, 2006

Busy...

So I'm back from Toronto now, and it has been a pretty stressful time.

Wednedsay morning we were up before the crack of dawn (think 4 am) to head to Toronto. We were driving AF's sister to the hospital and we had to be there by 7 am. We got in at 6:20 or so and left immediately for the hospital. The pre op stuff seemed to last forever, but finally at 10:30 or so, his sister finally got rolled away into the surgical ward. Around 11 or 11:30, we headed off for a bit. the pre op was supposed to carry on for another 2 hours or so and then the surgery would last another 5-6 hours after that, so they thought everything would be over around 6-6:30. We had short naps in the afternoon and headed back to the hospital around 4:30 or so. And then the waiting continued... past 6... past 7... 7:45 before the surgeon came down to say that everything went okay, but we'd still need to wait another 2 hours (ended up being 2.5 hours) before they could get in to see her.

During that wait my dad called my cell phone. Never a good sign. He usually only calls when it is something big. Well, something big it was. He had been talking to my Uncle M in Ottawa on Wednesday and it seems that my Granny is slipping. Like really slipping. The doctor said at most that she has 1 month left, but that if she has to go onto morphine to manage her pain it will be a lot less. After losing all my other grandparents, you'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't. I'm now planning my trip to Ottawa (Hoping for the middle of next week so I can go with my dad) to say good bye to my granny. I hate to think that this will be the last time I will see her. I also feel a little selfish in that I want her to stay but I know shes in pain and that she'd rather it just end. Also, I feel sad for Sarah and Kate who might not get a chance to say goodbye. Kate definitely won't get too, and Sarah might not be able to because June is a shit month for teachers. She'll be busy doing her report cards and might not be able to make it down.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. I just have to suck it up. Granny is old, she's dying, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Edit - Oops, forgot to mention AFs sister. By yesterday morning everything was incredibly stable and all of the monitoring equipment had been removed, they transfered her to the regular care ward by noon. We last saw her around 5 yesterday and she was almost 100% back to normal behaviorly, if a little dopey due to the morphine. They were talking about discharging her today which is almost unheard of soon. All the nurses were shocked with how well she was doing.

To get in, they made an incision pretty much ear to ear at the front of her hair line. They had to shave a band about two inches thick which won't be fun to grow out for her (she has long thick hair). So, I'm planning on picking up some magazines and some type of hair covering for her to bring down with me tomorrow. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Blythe said...

I'm so sorry about your Granny.

*hugs*

BrightDolphin said...

I'm sorry about your Granny, LJ.

I don't know what to suggest for AF's sister... I guess I'm no help!

lj said...

She had a tumor in her Occipotal lobe. It was the size of a small apple. It wasn't causing any major problems, but was pinching the Optical nerve due to the size (she lost her peripheral vision)

Lotus Blossom said...

Sorry to hear about your granny. Between us, JB and I only have 1 grandparent left (his granny)... it was super scary when she had 2 strokes about a year and a half ago. *hugs*

JB's granny kept her hair in pigtail-braids (the nurse did them for her) when she was in the hospital, as she has very long hair. Other than that, no suggestions on the hair. Sorry...

C-dub said...

Big hugs! Sounds like you've had a tough week.