Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A turn for the worse

My granny that is, not AFs sister. My dad called around 9:30 last night to let me know that Granny was doing much worse. They fitted her yesterday with an IV so that she can go onto the Morphine drip sooner rather than later. At this point, my dad doesn't know if she is going to make it to this weekend which is when my sister and BIL are going up to visit. I'm taking off tomorrow and Thursday to go down and say goodbye and it seems like it'll pretty much be just in time. There is apparently a "no crying in front of granny rule" that I'm not sure I'll be able to hold up, but I'll try my best. I'm pretty upset about it to say the least - she is my last living grand parent...

AFs sister is doing well. She got discharged yesterday at noon, but had to go back into the hospital today to get the staples out of her head. Apparently after that happens, she is able to wash her head like normal. The only problems shes had for the past few days are from the painkillers, much the same as I had after my surgery. They gave her nausea and constipation, but apparently that is getting better.

ANY BOYS READING MAY WANT TO STOP HERE
She also ended up getting her period when she was in the hospital so she was pretty miserable in general. I offered a tampon to which I was promptly replied "Oh, no Azin can't use them, she's a virgin". I was pretty taken aback, I didn't know how to respond. I felt terrible now, I think that AFs mum must think I'm a slut or something. I think it is a cultural difference since here it isn't that much of a deal if you aren't a virgin when you get married. No one is waiting for the hymen blood on the wedding night to prove that their wife is "pure". I felt terrible though, since I've been using them since I first got my period back at age 12 (you kind of have to when you are a swimming instructor and lifeguard!)

4 comments:

lj said...

Oh, I know keely, I was just completely horrified by it! I didn't even think about it, but I guess it is a cultural difference.

(Oh, and sometimes tampons bread the hymen, sometimes they don't, it depends on where it is located in each individuals anatomy.)

Lotus Blossom said...

Sorry to hear about your granny. *hugs*

C-dub said...

*big hugs* I am so sorry that your grannie is so ill.

Lotus Blossom said...

How are things going out there?