Sunday, July 10, 2005

Peterborough triathlon :)

This morning, we biked to the race from C-dubs house. About 5 km, there was a half ironman going on to, so we correctly guessed that parking would be a b*tch so it was a smart decision. We set up our transition and watched the half ironmaners start. Impressive.

My goals - Finish I was *hoping against all hopes* to get 1:30, but thought that was a bit of a pipe dream. I knew I could do the swim in less than 15:00, and the run in < 30:00, but the bike was a bit of an unknown. I'd have to ride in 45:00 and fit the transition times in there somewhere.

The swim 750 m- I did pretty much as expected, coming out of the water in about 13:30, but there was a nice longish job into the transition so my official time was 14:48 8/19 in my age group, but I know one of those people passed me on the jog into the transition, so I'm going to say 7/19, so there First transition felt like I was taking forever, but it was really only 1:35, so that was pretty good.

The bike 20 K - Now this is where I usually have the most trouble. I have never really thought of myself as a cyclist, It is definitely tough for me, in the first 1-2 km I was getting passed everywhere by men, but I figure they were all in the same wave as me, but I'm just a better swimmer . After that it kind of slowed down a bit. I still hadn't seen any other women, and then the miracle of all miracles happened. I passed a girl. On a road bike. In my age group. Go me! I got passed by a few girls in my group, but they were mostly older women, on fancy shmancy bikes. There was this one girl who I played cat an mouse with the entire bike, and she finished just ahead of me, I clicked out of my pedals too early! Bike time 41:12 yep, that is 29.1 km/hour 18.2 mph and... 7/19 in age. same as on the swim!!! T2-1:27 (Oh, and on the whole way back there was a brutal head wind!)

The Run 5K - So onto the run. I was a little nervous due to my last minute bike purchase I wasn't able to practice any bricks (bike then run) on my new bike. I thought I was running slower than molasses, it just wasn't going well. I was getting passed all over the place and took great condolence from the fact that they all looked to be in pretty good shape. I had to double check my watch at the first km marker, was I really running that fast? At about half way, I realized, I was getting my 1:30 even if I had to walk a bit, but I was feeling so much better, I was able to pick up the pace a bit, and passed the girl from the bike one last time, no looking back finished the run in 26:22 10/19 in age. Over all time, 1:25:21 and 8/19 in age group. I'm a mid packer :D (I typically finish tris like 2nd or 3rd last in age).

Started walking out on the run course and C-dub caught up, she was just starting the run, so I ran/walked with her for another 5k. I was proud of her!

5 comments:

Blythe said...

Awesome job!

Are you telling me that there are people out there with bikes that are more fancy shmancy than yours ;)

lj said...

You bet burger! lots and lots of disk wheels this weekend! Crazyness! I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars just on a wheel!

Lotus Blossom said...

If I could run worth a crap, I would like to do triathlons. Alas... I can't run any better than an overweight porcupine! ;)

BrightDolphin said...

LOL Niki, that's funny. I'd probably be the same way! :o)

I think the biking is what would be hardest for me. I hate bicycle seats... they hurt my bum!

lj said...

You can ALWAYS walk the run :) We actually saw one lady race walking the course...