Thursday, February 02, 2006

Oooo Baby, baby it's a wild world

It's hard to get by just upon a smile... The wise words of Cat Stevens (Now Yusuf Islam).

Since I started dating MCB, I've become more aware of politics on the world stage, I used to just follow canadian politics. Now I can honestly say, that the state of the world today saddens be to a great extent.

It seems like the drift between the Muslim world and the western world is growing larger everyday. With a terrorist group being elected to lead a democratic country; with western newspapers printing political cartoons against muslims (showing every sign of racism and hatred); with Iran insisting on creating enriched uranium; and with the US insisting on controlling the rest of the world, it is a sad state of affairs. What is of greater importance religious freedoms or freedom of expression?

Can't the world just get along? I've never noticed such a huge difference between the west and east before? is this something new? something growing every day? That is certainly how it would appear to me. Everyday the globe seems to have two or three more articles about the middle east (not including Afganistan, Palestine, or Iraq which have been in the news for a while). If it is growing, who's going to stop it? I wish I could.

Again, more wise words from good old Cat. I love that guy.

"I've been crying lately
Thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating?
Why can't we live in bliss?"

1 comment:

BrightDolphin said...

Yeah, it makes me sad too. I worry about my Dad taking the subway everyday in Toronto. When the blackout happened, he was on the subway and had to walk to his car. It's a really long walk, and he's not exactly young anymore.

The situation with Iran terrifies me. There is a guy working at my office who is from there, and he was saying yesterday that the Iranians even have a mid-range delivery system that could be adapted for nuclear weapons. Scary times.

I don't know what the German paper was trying to accomplish. The Danish paper really shouldn't have published something like that, but after all the crap they went through after that, the German paper shouldn't have published the cartoons on purpose. That's just antagonistic. And we really don't need that.