Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Meet the Parents

Okay, so AF and I were talking last night. Looks like this Sunday I'll be meeting his mum (his dad passed away when he was a teenager). I'm dropping him off in Toronto on my way to belleville saturday morning and will be stopping in there for dinner on Sunday late afternoon/early evening. He first mentioned that she wanted to meet me last weekend (as in a week and a half ago), so I've been thinking a little bit about it since then. So I've never met a guys parents before... that would have been an interesting one... Mark's parents lived in Thunder Bay and Ian, well, I was just using him (bad laura. Rebounds aren't cool). So this will be the first time.

To be honest, I'm a little nervous. What if she doesn't like me? What do I wear? How do I act? I know, just be myself, right? Does anyone have any advice? Should I bring anything with me? A bottle of wine, flowers, maple syrup, desert, etc? Ack! I'm going to be thinking about this for a while I can see.

3 comments:

BrightDolphin said...

I've never met a bf's parents either, but I do have a brother. My parents have always said that they just want us to be happy. I think if AK's mum sees that you care about AK, and you show her respect (which I know you will), I don't see why she shouldn't like you. As for what to bring, maybe ask AK if there is something he could suggest? Otherwise, flowers are nice. Who doesn't like fresh flowers? :o)

BrightDolphin said...

I just realized that my first comment seemed weird. I meant that I've seen how my parents react when my brother has brought someone home to meet them. They were very welcoming.

Blythe said...

The best advice I can give ... and this comes from the perspective of someone who has been loved and "disliked" by a boyfriend's mother is ... not to stress out about it.

You are a very lovely girl and your personality will obviously show that.

Some mothers are very welcoming and open to the son's girlfriends, and others are not so much. It has nothing to do with the girlfriend, but simply the mother's attitude.

The hard part is getting them to accept you as apart of their son's life, and it sounds like she has already done that since she wants to meet you. A very good sign!

Flowers are always nice. It shows a sign of respect and that you are a caring person. Heck, I would like the flowere.

Don't worry :) You'll be fine.