Monday, June 06, 2005

*sigh*

Wow, has it ever been a busy week.

Monday to Wednesday was stressing over getting stuff done for my TA and my conference which was this past thursday and Friday (sorry for not calling you JC, we didn't end up having any spare time during the day for us to have gotten together). Burgers and MKs presentations went really well. They really sounded like they knew what they were talking about :) Me on the otherhand, I'm not so sure. I was terrified! I kept on pressing the wrong button and was fumbling my words. I knew I was fidgiting (tucking my hair behind my ears) but there was nothing I could do to stop it! I was much better with my presentation board though, I was able to explain what I had done with ease and answer questions intellegently. I wish that is all that was involved with presentations. Give me one-on-one instead of in front of a group any day.

So then Friday night I was back to Belleville for D's Stag and Doe. If any of you were watching global news and saw the huge accident on the 401 at Brock Rd, I was stuck behind that. I realized when I saw the news choppers and airplanes flying overhead that I was going to be there a while and turned off my car. We were completely stopped for about an hour and it took us another hour to make it the 1.5 km we had to travel (in one lane of traffic) around the accident. Talk about pain in the ass. I hope no one was hurt though, when I saw the vehicals, I was emotionally shaken. There was an SUV involved that looked like it was packed up to go to the cottage, and it was complete bent in half (middle section up, like this /\), and a small car that was completely smushed in at the back. If there had been anyone in the back seat of either of the vehicles, I'm certain they would not have survived. (there was also another car - a van, and 2 transports involved in the accident.)

Was in Bville for less than 12 hours, I needed to make it back to waterloo to do my marking that I have been neglecting, I knew it wouldn't get done in Belleville. Probably 5 hours of marking on Saturday, 2 hours of finding solutions on Sunday and another 3-4 hours of marking on Sunday afternoon (on top of coming into school for an hour on sunday to enter marks and talk to the prof that I am TA-ing for - their midterm is this week). So all in all, and exciting 11-12 hours of ENV 320 this weekend. I know you are all super jealous.

Back to the grind this morning. Todays goal - get my solution sets in a presentable fashion and get them up on the web. and then prepare for tomorrows tutorial by going over old midterms and understanding the solutions incase I get asked to explain anything. Only 2 more days until their midterm and a bit of a break for me :)

Also - going canoeing this coming weekend with my cousin from BC - Z, her summer job is leading kids on canoe trips, I'm soooooo jealous! So we are going to go out for a little one this weekend... she's never actually been on a canoe trip before, so it'll be good practice for her... maybe I'll get her to do all the work on the portages :)

5 comments:

Blythe said...

Your presentation went wonderfully ;)

BrightDolphin said...

Heh, burger I thought I would be first to post but you're too fast!

Lj, I agree with you about the presentation stuff. I hate giving talks to large groups, give me a one on one anyday. I think we often do a better job than we think we do.

That's okay about lunch, I ended up having meetings at like 1:00 on both days, so it would have been tough.

That's some crazy traffic you saw on Friday. There seemed to have been a lot of that last week. A head-on collision on the 401, another accident on the 410, and the one at Brock Rd. It's horrible. I never understand why people like to rubber neck these things... Are they hoping to see a dead body? My uncle came across an accident once and he went to open the driver's door to help the person in the car, but when he opened the door, the guy's head rolled out! He said that he immediately threw up and had nightmares for weeks. I bet even now, if someone brought it up, he'd relive it. Ugh, I wouldn't want to see something like that. I don't like blood.

Guess this is a little long eh? ;o)

lj said...

Jen - The problem wasn't rubbernecking in my accident, it was 4 lanes of traffic (in rush hour on a friday) trying to fit into one shoulder... and to begin with the road was closed. Sounds like a horrible ordeal your uncle had to go through, I can't imagine what that would have been like.

BrightDolphin said...

Oh, yeah I know the road closure was the problem on Friday, I just meant in general, whenever there's an accident. People always want to see what's going on. Kind of morbid. I guess it's just human nature to be curious though. The incident with my uncle happened years ago. Possibly even before I was born. My mom told me about it a few years ago. Ugh, freaks me out though.

Lotus Blossom said...

Ick... I hate car accidents, and yet I always seem compelled to look... I can't help it...