Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I've been debating posting all morning

But I've decided this is my blog, and I can post what I want to post.

To say that I'm upset about the outcome of this election would be an understatement. For me, the last government was the best possible outcome. Liberal minority with the NDP being the king makers keeping the liberals on a left leaning path that promoted good policy towards the people in the country that need help the most. The results of this election are shaky at best. The conservatives could topple on the first opposition day since none of the opposition parties are likely to work with a right winged agenda. (I don't think they will though since all parties resources will be depleted and there would be a backlash from the public if we went right back into another election).

I'm sad for Canada today. Not because I support a corrupt party, or any other such nonsense. This isn't about corruption, it is about what you believe is best for the canadian people. I believe in a strong, united, Canada. I believe in sharing the wealth, that the rich should help the poor in times of trouble. Ontario is the most populous province in the country and certainly is one of the richest. We as a province lose out more than any other province on federal transfer payments, yet I, like most Ontarians, am okay with this. Federal transfer payments are there to help the poorer provinces get through times of trouble like the cod fishing ban in Newfoundland. I care about my fellow Canadians, not just what is best for myself.

I believe in a womans right to chose what is best for her life, not being dictated by a 2000 year old book. I believe in equal rights for all canadians, irregardless of faith, sexual orientation, colour of skin, sex, position in life, or how long they have been in our wonderful country. I believe in helping others before you help yourself. I believe in peace in the world. I believe in protecting the earth for future generations instead of depleting our non-renewable resources for greed and wealth.

I did something this morning that I didn't think I'd ever do. I've been a long time liberal supporter at the provincial level (since I was 16 years old), but never at the federal level. This morning I signed up to join the Liberal Party of Canada. It will be going through some major changes now with Paul Martin stepping down, and I want to be involved in these changes. I encourage everyone else who isn't happy with the results of yesterdays election to do the same. Not necessarily joining the liberals, but to get involved in the party that you support. If you want change, make it happen, don't just sit back and wait for it to happen.

On the same note, I made a comment in the Star this morning. I hope it gets published!

2 comments:

C-dub said...

You made some really good points there, lj. I'm glad you decided to post :)

Lotus Blossom said...

I really enjoyed your post, LJ.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and has the choice whether or not to share them...