Monday, October 03, 2005

Nice weekend

Pretty relaxing, didn't do too much. Friday I read and watched some tv, saturday read most of the day, also dropped off some pictures to be developed then forgot to go back to pick them up!!! Rented Sahara on Saturday night - It was okay, but the movie is about an "Environmental Disaster", and it kind of annoyed me because the science and hydrogeology were pretty off. I hate it when people write stuff and don't research it properly. Mind you the average person wouldn't realize there was anything wrong with it.

Sunday morning was my long run, all 32K of it. I finished, and that is about as much positive as I can say about it. The first 18 K were great, the next 6 it started getting hot, and my legs started feeling heavy. Tried to pick it up to marathon pace for the last 6 km, the first 3 were great, the 4th not so great, 5 and 6 were miserable and WAY off pace (conciously so though). I'm pretty sure that I "bonked" which is the figurative wall. It has been a while since that has happened to me, and it is never pleasent. I think my problem was with hydration. I had my 2L pack on and was practicing drinking at the intervals that stations would be at during the race, but I don't think I was drinking enough each time. I had about half a litre left at the end of the run which means in the course of 3:45 I only drank about a litre and a half. Not enough, especially given the heat for the last 10 or so km.

I guess I just have to shrug it off as a learning experiance and hope that the same thing doesn't happen on race day. I made it through the last 2km, but I'm not sure I could have made it 12.

3 comments:

Lotus Blossom said...

You're one crazy girl... I wouldn't even walk that far, let alone run!

Lotus Blossom said...

I just noticed your little running man... are you going to run your marathon naked?! ;)

lj said...

You bet :) No, he was just the best running man I could find, so naked it is :)