Wednesday, October 19, 2005

An Update you want

An Update you'll get, but I can't guarantee it'll be positive. Actually, quite the opposite.

So my model was running, yay, got my runs done and then I met with my supervisor to discuss the results. He saw my "Fit" curve from last week and decided that it wasn't good enough, so I have to spend all this extra time now getting a better fit and re-running my model to get better results to present at the conference. Sounds like fun right? Well, I'm not even started. So this all comes about yesterday at 4:00, we make a few minor changes, and voila, my model no longer runs. I spend the next hour and a half in a total panic, and finally realize my program is running, just not out of the fortran window. Weird, I know. So I have swimming in under an hour, I still have to eat, etc. so I grab a sandwich and head home, for like 15 minutes. Go to swimming (that was nice, I can be positive about that), and then back to school from 8 to 11:45 pm, I leave a bunch of models running on my school computer, and bring a bunch more home with me to run from there.

I get about 7 hours of Jenny interrupted sleep, she missed me and wanted to cuddle. Cute, but not good when you are fighting a cold and halve a marathon in 4 days.

I get back into school shortly after 8 to realize what I should have known would happen, my models aren't done running. After about 15 minutes (my computer was super slow), I decided to stop a couple and bring them to run from home. Finished running at 12:15, back to school by 12:25, looks at my breakthrough curves, and tada! No break through. All the work I got done is a complete waste of time, and I'm in the exact same position as I was last wednesday. Only this time I have only 6 days (minus saturday and sunday because of marathon) to get results, make a presentation, practice it, and present. Sound like fun yet?

I'm a little stressed out if you can't tell. I'm planning on taking over the computer lab every night this week (and weekend). I have a feeling that Sunday night will be my first (and hopefully only) all nighter in grad school.

2 comments:

BrightDolphin said...

That really sucks LJ!

Good luck with all that work. I hope you can get it all sorted out!

*hugs*

Lotus Blossom said...

Ick! No wonder you've been MIA... *hugs* I understand feeling stressed and hope you can clear things up in your model soon.